The art of John Phelps exemplifies the history of the Great American West, beginning with the explorations of its vast terrain, the fur trade era and its mountain men, the epoch years of the cowboy, ranching and rodeo.
His works portray the early years in American history through present day. A lifetime of cowboying, horse packing, hunting and fishing lend authenticity to his subject matter.
John was born and raised in Cheyenne, Wyoming. He attended the University of Wyoming until which time joined in the Navy and was sent to Viet Nam.
After Viet Nam, he served as a guide for elk and bighorn sheep hunters in the Fitzpatrick and Glacier Wilderness areas in Fremont County, Wyoming. John has lived in Dubois, Wyoming for twenty-five years and now resides in Cody,Wy.
Noteworthy Honors & Awards:
• Commissioned works for Jackson Hole Old West Days and Wyoming Centennial.
• Invited artist to the CM Russell Auction, Great Falls, Montana for 25 years.
• Invited artist to the National Western Stock Show, Denver, Colorado.
• 1998 – Wyoming Conservation Stamp “Top 40”.
• 1999 – Award of Excellence, NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
• 1999 – Arts for the Parks, “Top 100”. Grand Teton Natural History Award of Merit.
• 2000 – Peoples Choice Award (oil) at WRVAG 51st National Art Show.
• 2001 – Peoples Choice Award (oil), Grumbacher Award, Portrait Award, Professional Oil Painting Award, Still Life Award, and Purchase Award at WRVAG 52nd National Art Show.
• 2002 – Arts for the Parks, “Top 100”.
• 2002 – Best of Show, Peoples Choice (oil), First Place and Peoples Choice (sculpture) at WRVAG 53rd National Art Show.
• 2003 – Black bear monument commissioned by Lenoir – Rhyne College, Hickory, NC.
• 2003 – Commissioned to sculpt World War II monument for Fremont County Veterans Association.
• 2003 – Best of Show, sculpture, NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show, Tulsa, OK.
• 2003 – Best of Show, First Place Oil, First Place Sculpture, Peoples Choice at WRVAG 54th National Art Show.
• 2004 – Commissioned to sculpt Viet Nam Helmet, The PhelpsAward, for Veteran`s Plaza Committee, New York, NY
• 2004 – Commissioned by Dubois Anglers and Wildlife Group to sculpt a series of trout species indigenous to Wyoming.
• 2004 – First Place Oil, Best of Show, Peoples Choice at WRVAG 55th National Art Show.
• 2005 – Presented the first Viet Nam Helmet, The Phelps Award, to former New York City Mayor, Rudolph Giuliani.
• Invited artist to Gilcrease Museum, Art in Miniature, Tulsa, OK.
• Invited artist to the Museum of Western Art, Collector`s Classic, Kerrville, TX.
• 2007 – Best of Show, Two Dimensional, NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show, Tulsa, OK,
Astoria Fine Art Gallery, Jackson, WY
Big Horn Gallery, Cody, WY Pricing:
Oil Paintings range from $1,000 – $35,000.
Bronzes are priced from $900 – $200,000.